POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : megapov bug : Re: megapov bug Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: megapov bug
From: Warp
Date: 14 Feb 2001 05:52:25
Message: <3a8a6369@news.povray.org>
You make it sound like most compilers (specially gcc) have extremely
poor support for STL; that it's almost impossible to make anything according
to the C++ standard because the standard-conforming STL implementation is
almost inexistent.

  I would like to note that this is not true.
  I have been coding for more than 2 years with gcc using STL (as my work,
not just as hobby). It is true that there are some things missing (like
string iterators), but mostly the STL implementation conforms to the standard
and is very usable.
  Among other "exotic" things in the STL, I have used stream iterators,
iterator traits, functors, predicates and several "exotic" utilities
(such as bind1st, bind2nd, etc), and they all work as the C++ standard states.

  And this is not all. The STL implementation used by gcc is (at least
partially) very efficient.
  For example once I tried to make my own sort()-function which would "kill"
std::sort() (with all the same functionality but a lot faster). I used every
possible trick I know to make it faster (eg. I used a hybrid between randomized
quicksort and insertion sort, which is about 25% faster than quicksort
alone), but I didn't succeed. My implementation of sort() was slower than
std::sort() in almost every case.

--
char*i="b[7FK@`3NB6>B:b3O6>:B:b3O6><`3:;8:6f733:>::b?7B>:>^B>C73;S1";
main(_,c,m){for(m=32;c=*i++-49;c&m?puts(""):m)for(_=(